Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Winter days

I was born in El Salvador. Raised in California. Became an adult in NJ. In the fall of 1993, there were 17 snow storms that hit the east coast. Yes, a California raised boy in the midst of NJ winter weather. This set the table for numerous things to happen: depression, refuge in alcohol, and more alcohol to stay warm in the tough winter months of '93-'94.

Embarking on this new venture to speak about my experience as an Immigrant child and adult in this country, it brings back a re-birth of sorts. Arriving in the winter and leaving in the midst of its torturous spring. I often wondered if I was as much a punk to not "weather the storms" but definitely wasn't as courageous as I am now to venture and speak even more freely.

So, when I open the show at Rider University in the first week of March, my life will have come full circle. Rider University is going to be the launch pad for me to showcase my skills as an orator and as an entertainer. A lot of writing, practicing, and adjusting to financial difficulty has proven stressful. Something wonderful has appeared out of the financial struggle and stress of performing, and booking places to document and perform across the country; a stronger connection with GOD and faith.

Before, I would play the victim (although many things were often out of my control), bitch and ask GOD why? As my spirituality gets stronger and my walk with GOD gets closer, I am, not necessarily welcoming hardship, but I will sure have faith that this is just an opportunity to just do "that", prove my faith.

Currently, the struggle is getting "real". But, I have a GOD who is bigger than any problems that can come my way.

Back to Trenton after working on the outline to my hour show in March at Rider.

Now the editing for I, Axis Mundi has to pick up, add the voice overs, then the effects.

Lot of pressure, big risk. Someone recently told me, "I'm jealous in a way. Your whole life has been a risk, so you don't give a fuck." Word. With GOD's grace and blessing, I will show case the talents he bestowed upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment